Website owners may need to migrate their web host at some point during their business journey due to the emergence of more lucrative hosting options, such as VPS, shared, or dedicated hosting. This is why many website managers choose to perform host migration.
This article offers guidance on managing hosting server migration, one of the most widely-used DevOps services. It does so by breaking down five crucial steps that can lead to a successful migration.
What are the factors to consider when moving a Drupal website to a new hosting server?
Deciding to change web hosts can be a challenging decision. However, there are several indications that your website may need hosting updates, which can be identified if you know where to look. Although it may be difficult to admit, taking this step will improve your website's performance.
Here's a guide on how to identify these indicators on your Drupal website.
- There is a recurring problem with downtime. Website downtime can harm your reputation as a service provider. The quality of your hosting equipment and security features can impact your site's availability and protection against cyber-attacks.
- Your host is hard to reach. Efficient communication between a website owner and their web host is crucial. In the event of a server crash or error, prompt contact with the host is necessary for troubleshooting and restoring the site's functionality. Having an unreliable host can negatively impact website functionality and customer retention. Therefore, having a dependable customer service team available is essential for providing optimal user experiences and promoting business success.
- Your current hosting fees are high. Running a website can require a significant investment in web hosting. It's a recurring expense that you should choose carefully. The most expensive option may not be necessary. Consider the features and server space that your host provides and compare them to your site's needs. Don't overspend on hosting that doesn't fit your requirements. You can always upgrade to a more expensive plan later.
- The level of security provided may not meet your requirements. Investing in a secure web host can be advantageous for your website as it prioritizes security measures. Investing in a secure hosting server can prevent data loss, compromised user data, and damage to your credibility with your audience. Consider specific features and plugins, such as Secure Sockets Layer certificates, malware scanning, and server firewalls, when selecting a web host.
Instructions for migrating to a different hosting provider
The process of migrating a Drupal site to a new host involves contacting the current host, backing up the database, connecting to a new server, and uploading files. It is common for issues to arise during this process, such as corrupted backups. To avoid potential issues, consider hiring a professional agency like Optasy to complete the migration process for you. This may help save resources and ensure a smooth transition.
Before migrating to a new web hosting server, it's important to follow essential steps. Let's examine some of them.
1. Turn Drupal caching off. To prevent possible disruptions, the initial action is to access the Drupal admin dashboard and follow these steps.
2. It is recommended to create a backup of your Drupal files. To connect to your remote server, enter the connection details and select "QuickConnect" to establish a connection with the server hosting your website. To back up your Drupal files, simply download the content from your main site's folder onto your local device.
3. Export your Drupal database. Access the phpMyAdmin tool located in the Database section of your server's control panel. To export your Drupal site database, select "Check all" and then choose the "Export method" and "SQL" options.
4. Transfer the Drupal database to the new hosting provider. To create a new MySQL database on the target server, click on "Import" located at the top of the database. Afterward, select "Choose File" and click "Go." This will successfully restore your site on the new hosting from the backup.
5. Turn on Drupal caching. Go to Configuration - Performance - Enable Drupal caching. And that's it! Your host migration process is completed.
Building and managing a Drupal website involves various complexities, with hosting being a particularly challenging aspect. A wide range of hosting options are available, which can make it a daunting task to determine the most suitable one for your website requirements.
Optasy's team of Drupal experts can provide assistance and guidance on server migration and hosting server management.
Photo credit: Unsplash.
We do Web development
Go to our Web development page!