What makes a Drupal developer? What does he/she do? What roles do you sort Drupal developers by? How do you identify Drupal experts to take on your project?
What Exactly Does a Drupal Developer Do?
In other words, what makes a Drupal developer?
What specific skill set do you recognize him/her by?
We've conducted a research within our own team of experienced Drupal developers and managed to pinpoint the tasks that they usually perform:
- build Drupal websites from scratch, based on our clients' feature needs
- select and configure the right modules to meet specific functionality requirements
- implement various functionality via plugins
- custom develop Drupal modules for more complex, unique functionalities
- put together the interfaces, starting from the web designers' work
- migrate our clients' websites from other platforms to Drupal or from Drupal to newer versions of the CMS
- handle various PHP implementations
- create sub-themes and fully-custom Drupal themes
So: "What does a Drupal developer do?"
He/she builds Drupal websites and applications: custom development on the back-end and the front-end layer. And he also develops new custom modules for project-specific feature needs.
What Roles Can Drupal Developers Fulfill Within Your Team?
For there are distinct roles that Drupal developers can perform. And each role requires a specific skill set and expertise.
Here are the 5 major ones:
He's the "generalist" of your team.
A site builder will install and configure the commonly-used Drupal modules on your website: roles and permissions, views, menus, content types...
He'll create and implement the user interface of your website based on the web designer's work.
A front-end developer with Drupal expertise. He'll design the custom theme for your website
He’s the one in charge with:
- writing the code for any custom functionality and integration on your Drupal website
- tracking down bugs
- handling data import
Technical Lead, Architect
These Drupal developers have started out as back-end developers and gained enough expertise to... level up. As Drupal architects, they'll be responsible for the information architecture on your website.
It's the technical lead who'll set up the entire development strategy for your project, from selecting the right modules to scheduling all the due performance-boosting, integration and configuration work needed.
To sum up, the essential "hierarchy" to keep in mind is the following:
- site builder, who'll configure and assemble the most popular Drupal modules required for your website
- Drupal developer, who'll create custom modules as necessary and set up custom integrations with other systems
- themer: who's an expert in Drupal's theme layer
Why OPTASY? How Do You Identify the Right Drupal Partner?
How do you filter out newbies from experienced Drupal developers? And what makes us the best choice for your Drupal project?
Let's get you some answers:
- we've been doing Drupal development since... 2005
- from Drupal site building and Drupal site redesign to theming, to custom module development and custom integrations... we've been handling all the Drupal development tasks you could think of over this more than a decade now
- we have a "weakness" for Drupal eCommerce projects; developing high-converting online stores, that deliver personalized, rich user experiences, is our specialty
- we back our experience as Drupal developers with front-end development expertise; from Angular to React, to Node.js to Vue... we'll power your website's UI with the JS framework of your choice
- we specialize in enterprise-level Drupal projects
And last but not least, we’re reputedly communicative and transparent. As one of our former clients confessed:
“OPTASY worked to keep us engaged in what was happening and make sure we understood all of the changes being made.”(source: Clutch.co)